The word billiards refers to any of various games played on a cloth-topped, cushion-railed rectangular table by driving small, hard balls against one another or into pockets, with a long stick called a cue. Carom, or French billiards, is played with three balls, two white and one red, on a table without pockets.
Which is correct billiard or billiards?
Billiards: cue sports in general, including pool, carom billiards, snooker, English billiard etc.; the term “billiards” by itself is also sometimes used to refer to any of the following more specifically: Carom billiards (also known as French billiards), games in general (a chiefly non-British usage)
Is billiards singular or plural?
The noun billiards is uncountable. The plural form of billiards is also billiards.
What part of speech is billiards?
|part of speech:||adjective|
|definition:||of, pertaining to, or used in billiards.|
|part of speech:||noun|
|definition:||a billiard shot in which the cue ball hits two other balls in succession.|
How do you use billiard in a sentence?
- John used to divert himself with billiards.
- Playing billiards is my chief recreation.
- Jones simply walked over Brown at billiards.
- Billiards is played by women as well as men.
- I’ll take you on at billiards.
- Reginald and Henry were having a game of billiards.
- It hangs, he assures me, in the billiards room of White’s.
What is another name for billiards?
Snooker, pool & billiards.
What is billiards mean?
: any of several games played on an oblong table by driving small balls against one another or into pockets with a cue specifically : a game in which one scores by causing a cue ball to hit in succession two object balls — compare pool entry 3.
Are billiards and snooker the same thing?
Snooker uses twenty-two balls, including a white ball known as the ‘striker’ ball. … Each ball is 2 1/16 inches in diameter. Billiards, on the other hands, uses only three balls: one each of white, yellow, and red, with both the white and the yellow able to act as the striker ball. The balls are 2 7/16 inch diameter.
What is the origin of billiards?
Billiards began as a lawn game similar to the croquet played sometime during the 15th century in Northern Europe. It has evolved from that point into the present-day style of billiard/pool table and rules.
What words are only singular?
Nouns that exist only in the singular or plural form
- Amends (to make ‘amends’ for causing some loss)
- Annals (pages of books of history)
- Arms (weapons)
- Ashes (of a dead cremated body)
- Auspices (patronage)
Is billiard a sport?
Billiards is a sport, and you can play different games within the sport: eight- ball, nine- ball, three ball, one pocket and bank pool. … Billiards category including pool, snooker and carom was presented in the 2005 World Games, held in Duisburg, Germany, and the 2006 Asian Games as a cue sports category.
What is a billiards shot?
5 letter answer(s) to billiards shot
INOFF. MASSE. a shot in billiards made by hitting the cue ball with the cue held nearly vertically; the cue ball spins around another ball before hitting the object ball.
How do you pronounce billiard room?
- Phonetic spelling of billiard room. Bill-ee-ard room. …
- Meanings for billiard room.
- Synonyms for billiard room. billiard hall. …
- Examples of in a sentence. …
- Translations of billiard room.
How do you use jeans in a sentence?
Jeans sentence example
- Bianca put on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. …
- She grabbed her sack of clothes and scrambled into jeans and a sweater. …
- She went upstairs and changed into Jeans and a fitted blouse. …
- She looked decent in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.
How can I use economics in a sentence?
Economics in a Sentence
- While analysing the economics of the company’s fourth quarter, it was determined that their electronics were selling better than any other items in the store. …
- After completing the course in economics, the young man could determine how to conduct his dry-cleaning business to make a good profit.
How do you use cipher in a sentence?
- The message was written in cipher.
- The glasses were engraved with the Queen’s cipher.
- It’s a telegram in cipher.
- They couldn’t cipher out how she got there.
- I couldn’t cipher out his motives.
- He’s a mere cipher in the company.
- At work, she was a cipher, a functionary, nothing more.